Thursday 11 July 2013

The Best Phone Call Ever and the Best Reception ever at the Calgary Airport

On Sunday July 7th 11:30pm, I finished the Tour Divide as I rolled up to the Antelope Wells border crossing.  4200kms, lots of adventures and many stories later, it was a great moment and a fitting end to a very fulfilling journey.   It was raining heavily as I pulled up to Antelope Wells.  I had Peter's rain jacket on and was totally fine - pretty comfy actually.  I took shelter under the Customs building and started getting organized for the trip home.  My first call was home and Ben picked up right away.  He said "Congratulations George, you made it - well done, you were killin' it over the last few kilometres."  What a great call! I also had lots of other  texts and calls as many were watching my progress on Trackleaders - thank you.

With no one around the Customs building, I bivied under the shelter and prepared for the trip home.  Michael picked me up at 6:30, we were in El Paso at the Crazy Cat Cyclery at 11:00am.  I was showered and wearing new clothes by 1:30pm, Burger and Beer at 2:00pm (using Alistair's and Ken's money they gave me), bike taken to FedEx at 3:00pm, and then I walked over to the airport and caught a 6:30 flight that I had just booked on points.  I was in the Calgary Airport at 11:50pm and this is where Val and Scott and Deb met me.  What a fantastic welcome home!  Scott made the banner and I was so happy to see them.






 


On the Divide, one learns much about many things and those that touch and connect with your life.  An adventure and a journey for sure, and I am so grateful for  the support and encouragement from all of you and most importantly from Val and Ben.


No comments:

Post a Comment