Sunday 7 July 2013

El Falcone and El Mariachi

Wow - where to start... Left Pie Town on Friday and about 50kms out, my left pedal came loose and then off. Somewhere, the bottom bracket screw came out and then my pedal loosened as it is needed to keep the pedal on the hub. Splines were ok so I one legged it and hiked back to Pie town. I caught a ride into Albuquerque and Ryan at Performance Bikes stayed late and fixed El Mariachi. A day lost but better than trying to rig a half baked solution that could have left me stranded in the wilderness.

Back on the bike yesterday and I got to do the Gila Wildernness section as it reopened on Friday evening. This section is beautiful and embodies the Spirit Divide. After camping out last night, I finished the section and got to Silver City and am having breakfast at Vicky's. Met Kathy and Peter's friend - Jeff at the Gila bike shop. He helped me organize a shuttle from Antelope Wells to El Paso tomorrow. Gila bikes will box my bike and send it home.

Glad to be on the last stretch but sad it is coming to an end. Looking forward to seeing Ben and Val!

Picture of rock canyon where a falcon was squawking and chasing me out. The Gila wilderness was home to Geronimo and his family. El Falcone.

Ok - off to AW - more anon.

Sent from my BlackBerry device on the Rogers Wireless Network

1 comment:

  1. You did it! Congratulations! very impressed! Love to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete