Sunday 21 April 2013

Inspiration

From April 1st - 13th, Ben and I were in Italy.  Toured the Ferrari Museum and Factory and then went for a 7 day ski touring trip in the Ortler Group. 
This is young Ben at the Ferrari Museum. You have to go to this place, it is one of the most amazing and cool museums I have ever been in.  Needless to say - we loved the whole experience, including getting from Milan to Maranello by train.

It was back to Milan for some sightseeing and then we were in the Italian Alps for 7 days of ski touring with our Guide - Marc Ledwidge. 


Climbed lots of peaks and did some bigggg runs.  We started at the Branca Hut and spent 3 nights there before traversing over Mt. Pasquale and over to the Pizzini Hut.  The skiing was fantastic, the company was super fun and the Italians know the food, wine and beer thing.  Sleping at 9000 feet, with most days spent climbing peaks over 12000 feet, it was actually awesome training for the Tour Divide.  Here we are on top of Mt. Pasquale - Ian, Jack, Greg, Ben and Marc


Naively, I expected warm weather and opportunities to get some long rides in when we got back home.  Hmmm - I did ride to work all week with most mornings starting out at -10.  I did a 4.5 hr ride yesterday and the attached picture is of frozen Lake Minnewanka in Banff.  We need to get some serious warming happening before June 14th.  Ben and I were out ski touring in the Kananaskis Country today - great winter conditions.  Funny enough, we crossed the Tour Divide trail a few times - like I said, we need some warming conditions soon.

So - about the inspiration...  Yesterday was freezing when I was out doing my ride as evidenced by the pic.  On my way home, the wind was ferocious from the North East and I was having a bit of a suffer fest.  Thought I had frozen my feet, my hands were like clubs but I was ok.  In September, our older son Peter died in a kayaking accident out near Whistler.  One of his many hare-brained ideas was to pack up his bike, pull along his kayak and paddle all the rivers to which he could cycle.  When I think of Peter, especially when things are tough, his spirit is inspiring and I physically get a warm glow.  I imagine him smiling and being part of the action.   I believe the TD will be his way to see all the spots he could have gone.  Know that he will be with me all the way as he is with so many of his friends and family.





No comments:

Post a Comment