Thursday 14 March 2013

A Journey

March 14th today and it's cold and snowy here in Banff.  It's 3 months to the start of the Tour Divide on June 14.  As I prepare for this ride and do the ride, I plan on updating this blog as often as possible.   In June 2008, I happened to be in the Banff Post Office and saw 3 guys who were getting ready to do some serious riding by the look of their bikes. I talked to one one of the guys (I believe it was Matthew Lee) and he told me about the Tour Divide. Ever since that day, I have followed the race and the characters around it.  Here's the plan - I ride my bike to work on June 14th, forget to turn right and keep on going to Mexico. This is the year!

The Tour Divide follows the Great Divide from Banff, Alberta to Antelope Wells, NM (on the border with Mexico).  It's 2688.46 miles or 4326.70kms and 172,000 feet of climbing.   Lots of things to do and prepare but my first order of business is to go check out the new bike this evening.  The guys at Rebound Cycle are putting this awesome machine together. 

Here is a picture from high noon today looking towards the Tour Divide Start - let's hope for some finer weather in June. 

For the background picture, I chose a shot from Canyon Dam on the Spray Lakes.  The Great Divide Trail goes right along here.  It was taken last August on one of the most beautiful evening bike rides I have ever done.


No comments:

Post a Comment