Tuesday 21 May 2013

Training and thinking

I was out for a training ride with a good friend (Andy Harris) on Monday and we
covered a good portion of the route from Banff to Mt. Shark. The trails
are dry and in good shape. Recently, the mtn bike rides are getting
longer. So far my biggest day on El Mariachi has been 120 kms. Combo of
trails, roads, fire road and a little pavement. The bike feels really
good. I have the odometer dialed in to the cue card mileage and Ben helped
me set up a very cool map holder. All while he was half asleep on Sunday
morning - that boy is a genius.

Training - since April 12, close to 2300 kms on road and mtn bike. The
seat is getting hardened. Soon I will be a hardass... This coming weekend
will be a bit casual then ramping up to June 1 and 2 when I will ride to
Elkford and back - snow permitting. I will turn my Spot on and provide a
link to the tracking website - follow along or not.

Thinking - I usually wake up about 5:00 am and after thinking about Peter
for a few mins, my mind turns to the ride. Envisioning my daily routine while riding the Divide, I imagine rolling out of my bivy sack, packing up my gear, grabbing a yummy power bar and getting under way.  I know it's going to be harder than that - but that's the vision.  The hard part will be caffeine withdrawal.  I may have to go into training for that event.

From a training ride a few weeks ago, here is a picture looking up the Cascade valley near Banff. Water is flowing, sun is shining and the trails are drying out.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment